Supporting Barnard Parents Annual Giving
The Barnard Parents Council advances the College's goal of providing the highest quality liberal arts education to promising and high-achieving young women by raising annual, unrestricted funds while building an active and engaged community of parents.
2015-2016 Parents Council Leadership
Parents Council Co-Chairs
Ingrid and Charles Teschner P '15 & P '16
Mitra and Abbas Ardehali P '18 & P '19 (West Coast, USA)
Angela Bow '85 and Jean-Claude Humair P '19 (Asia)
Catherine and Giles Harrison P '16 & P '19 (Europe)
Parent members, volunteers with a deep commitment to Barnard, forge relationships with fellow parents. They promote and encourage involvement with the College and solicit unrestricted gifts for Barnard. The Council is supported by Development staff members.
Current and past parents serve on the Council. Membership entails an annual gift to Barnard - at least $5,000 a year at the Pacesetter level or ar least $2,500 a year for a Sustaining membership.
Members meet together each year on the Friday morning preceding Family Weekend. The meeting provides an opportunity for parents to meet each other, and to hear news about and gain insights into Barnard from senior administrators and faculty.
Opportunities for Parent Involvement
Parents have a long tradition of volunteering for Barnard, especially in the regions in which they live. Parents may further support the Council’s mission by:
- Promoting giving to Barnard through parent-to-parent calling. Each parent's conversation with another parent provides a vital connection to the Barnard community, as well as an understanding of how parents' giving enhances education and student life at the College. Parents receive training for making the calls.
- Acting as a U.S. regional or international contact for other parents and families. Parents everywhere have hosted College gatherings in their homes or offices.
- Supporting the Office of Career Development by providing internships and assisting with career networking.
- Attending college-sponsored events of all types, on and off campus.
- Providing ideas and expertise in support of programs and new initiatives.