Do you like working with students? Do you enjoy working with computers? Enhance your computer skills and technical knowledge--BECOME an ACE!
Academic Computing Experts (ACEs) are trained to help students configure their computers for the Barnard network and troubleshoot computer problems. They also provide software, network, and printer support for students in computer labs on campus.
Students hired during the fall semester are required to attend Fall Training, which takes place the week before orientation starts.
THE IDEAL ACE CANDIDATE
- Has at least basic familiarity with computers and a willingness to learn during training
- Takes initiative and uses all available resources
- Is timely, responsible, dedicated and eager to learn
- Has good interpersonal skills
- Works well independently and in group situations
- A competitive hourly rate
- Substantial opportunities for wage increases
- Extensive computer training
- Excellent resume fodder
- Candidate must attend Barnard full-time as a first-year, sophomore, or junior (can only apply in the fall semester of her junior year)
- ACEs work during Orientation Week. They may also serve as Orientation Sponsors, but not as an Orientation Crew Chief, Orientation Committee Member, or an RA.
- Attend training twice per academic year, a week prior to the beginning of each semester
- Work approximately four evening shifts over the course of four weeks to accommodate increased demand during the beginning of the fall semester
- Work 5 to 10 hours a week in the Student Computer Center
- Attend staff meetings
- Provide ongoing computer support for students in Barnard housing
- General computer training workshops for students in Barnard housing
You should fill out the application from a computer attached to a printer so you can print out the recommendation forms, cover forms, and confirmation screen. Note that the application requires two references and one recommendation letter, so you should know your references before filling out the application. References should be previous employers, not family or friends. If you have limited experience, you may use a former teacher as a reference.
You will be contacted shortly after you apply regarding interviews. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.