Travel Expense Reimbursement Procedures

Policies on requesting reimbursement for travel expenses

  • To request a travel advance, submit a Travel Advance Request Form (pdf) to the Controller's Office. If you do not use the entire advance, please submit remainder of funds, along with your expense report.
  • If you include receipts which only require partial reimbursement, please give a detailed explanation as to why.
  • Please see Barnard College Expenditure Policy  for acceptable travel expenses.

Domestic Travel

  • Fill out a Travel & Expense Report Domestic Form.
  • Please include all receipts for tolls, mass transit, parking, baggage fees, and gas. If you used EZ-Pass, please provide a print out from your EZ-Pass statement.
  • For mileage reimbursement, please provide a print-out from MapQuest, Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, etc. explaining how far you drove. Current mileage rates are set by the IRS. The 2013 rate is 56.5 cents per mile for business miles driven.

Foreign Travel

  • Fill out a Travel & Expense Report Foreign Form.
  • Barnard will only reimburse in US dollars, regardless of the currency your expenses were paid in.
  • When calculating the exchange rate of foreign currency into US dollars, make sure you use the rate for the date of purchase, not what the current rate is at the time of reimbursement.
  • Please provide documentation as to where you found your rate of exchange (credit card, website, bank, currency exchange, etc.).
  • If requesting reimbursement for a financial institution charge for using foreign currency, please provide documentation of this charge (bank or credit card statement).

If you have any questions, please contact the Controller's Office at 212-854-2010.