This year, the Global Symposium will be held in Paris on Friday, March 18, 2016. Students interested in applying to be Global Symposium Student Fellows should check this website in September 2015 for information.
In the videos below, past Student Fellows share their experiences of the Global Symposium trips in Johannesburg, Mumbai and São Paolo:
Who can apply?
Current Barnard sophomores, juniors, and seniors may apply. Fellows must be on campus for the full 2015-2016 academic year.
What are you looking for in an applicant?
The committee will look for demonstrated interest in the region, leadership development, women’s issues, or other relevant areas. It may also be helpful to have experience in public speaking, event planning, or leadership positions. Students must be in good academic standing, and should have strong time management skills.
What is the time commitment?
Fellows are expected to meet every other week during the second half of the fall semester and every week during the first half of the spring semester, to commit an average of 5-10 hours per week to work related to the Symposium, and to spend the majority of their spring break in Paris.
What responsibilities do Fellows have?
- Between the date of selection and March 11, 2015,
- assist in preparations for the 2015 Global Symposium;
- prepare, with guidance from the Athena Center for Leadership Studies, a workshop on leadership and global engagement for high school students; and
- conduct the workshop on leadership and global engagement with high school students from local high schools in New York.
- During the week of March 14,
- attend events related to the Global Symposium;
- interact with and provide assistance to special guests of the College participating in the Global Symposium; and
- provide support for all Global Symposium programs on March 13 and 14; and
- conduct the workshop on leadership and global engagement with local high school students in the city;
create a multimedia account of the trip to share with the Barnard community.
What does the fellowship include in terms of compensation and/or experiential rewards?
Student Fellows will have the opportunity to interact with women leaders from around the world at the Global Symposium; will develop skills in collaboration, presentation, event-planning, and cross-cultural communication; and will have a profound learning experience abroad with Barnard faculty and staff. Student Fellows will be awarded the cost of the faculty-student trip during spring break, including round-trip airfare to the selected city, four nights in a double hotel room with another Student Fellow, and related meals, ground transportation and planned activities. Any visa or vaccination costs will also be covered. Please note that students will not receive any academic credit or monetary compensation for their work.
How do I apply?
Check back during September 2015 for application information.
If you have specific questions, email email@example.com.