How can a student become a part of STEP at Barnard College?
- Complete an application and return it to the STEP Office on or before the deadline for the specific (Fall, Spring, and Summer) session. Applicants must meet all guidelines and requirements before being admitted to the program.
At what grade level can my children enter the STEP program?
- During the academic year, STEP accepts students in grades 7th – 12th. During the summer STEP accepts students in grades 8th – 12th.
How many students are accepted to participate in the program?
- During the academic year, STEP accepts 70 students for participation in the program. During the summer, STEP accepts 35 students for participation in the program.
What is the cost?
- STEP is a free program for qualified New York City high school students.
Who are the teachers?
- They are a group of outstanding and dedicated local teachers and college professors who offer a curriculum designed specifically for this program. In addition, college academic and career counselors as well as college students majoring in math/science assist these instructors.
When is the program?
- The summer program is 5 weeks. It begins July 2nd and ends July 29th. Classes are held from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday.
- The Fall semester is 10 weeks. It begins in October and ends in December. After school tutoring/test prep, are held on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 pm to 5:00pm. Classes are held from Saturday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- The Spring Semester is 10 weeks. It begins in February and ends in May . After school tutoring/test prep, are held on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Classes are held from Saturday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Can I attend part-time or selective Fridays/Saturdays?
- No. All students must commit to attending the full program. (All scheduled Saturdays for Spring/Fall and/or four full weeks including Fridays during the summer)
Will participants receive a STEP I.D. card?
- Yes. All STEP students are issued a STEP I.D. card.
Is there a waiting list?
- Yes, if necessary, your name will be placed on our waiting list. If an opening becomes available in your grade, your application will be considered for the program. If admitted you will be notified.
Does STEP provide transportation?
- No. Students in STEP must have reliable transportation to and from the program.
Where does the program take place?
- The program takes place on the Barnard College campus.
Is homework given?
- The STEP Program at Barnard College is an academic enrichment program. Students are given exams, research projects and assignments to complete at home. Students also receive grades based on their performance in the STEP Program.
Does STEP provide textbooks?
- Yes. STEP loans students the required textbooks and calculators for the duration of the program (Exception: students are required to bring the textbooks issued from local high school during tutor sessions.)
What should I bring?
- Nothing, students are provided with all general classroom supplies.
What should I wear?
- Casual clothing appropriate for all occasions (unless instructed otherwise).
What are the fun things STEP students do?
- Participants go on field trips to museums, sporting events and parks. Students go on college tours across the country. They play various sports such as soccer and basketball. They engage in hands-on science projects and get a chance to make long lasting friendships.