IN COLLABORATION WITH THE ATHENA CENTER FOR LEADERSHIP STUDIES
Entrepreneurs envision the future. And you can be a part of it.
What do Spanx, HP, Avon, Time, IBM, Gilt, Hanky Panky and Yahoo! have in common? Women founders and CEOs, that’s what!
New York City is the global capital for women entrepreneurs and, this summer, as a future entrepreneur, you can learn how to launch your very own startup. We'll help you develop an idea and turn it into a promising plan of action with hands-on teaching by some of the most successful leaders in the industry.
Courses for this program range from Developing a Business Idea to Getting Funded and include three site visits to start-ups in New York. Students will work in groups as they develop their own ventures, build public speaking skills, and ultimately pitch their ideas to mentors, staff, judges, and fellow students - resulting in an awards ceremony for Most Compelling Pitch and more. Instructors for these courses and workshops are start-up experts, having founded or led ventures of their own.
Students will attend class, workshops, or site visits from 9 am - 5:30/6 pm daily. Evening hours can be used to attend a variety of activities provided by the Summer Pre-College Program.
2014 Course Schedule
Sunday, July 6:
- Welcome, NYC orientation and introduction to the program and program leaders
Monday, July 7:
- Choosing a Business with co-founder of Entrepreneurs@Athena & Improv workshop with Broadway Theatre performers & storytelling coaches
Tuesday, July 8:
- Customer Analysis & Market Research, User Experience Design with Lean Startup Machine, and field trip to DoSomething.org
Wednesday, July 9:
- Marketing 101, Branding, Business Naming with CEO of , formerly Marketing Director of The Harvard Business School
The class with Elizabeth Talerman on Marketing was my favorite because I could really sense her passion in what she does." - 2013 student
Thursday, July 10:
- Day long field trip to NY based Hank Panky factory and headquarters!
Friday, July 11:
- Financial Fluency for Startups with Down to Earth Finance and Product Development with the president of Lean Leadership, Inc.
Saturday, July 12:
- Free day!
Sunday, July 13:
- Business Naming Continued, Implement Startup Roadmap, and Business Planning
Monday, July 14:
- Marketing Your Own Story, Getting Funded, and Negotiation, followed by a field trip to tech educational mecca General Assembly. Special visit senior admissions counselor.
Tuesday, July 15:
- Pitch Rehearsal day with Moth Storyteller
Wednesday, July 16:
- Awards & Pitch Presentations to panel of expert startup advisors and leading NYC investors
"At first I couldn't imagine myself pitching and was kind of hesitant about how I could succeed. But by the end I had a sense of 'I can do this!' -2013 Participant
Thursday, July 17:
- Move out day
"I don't want to leave! Every day got better and better." -2013 Participant