Students may take a maximum of 23 points for a grade of P (22 points for students entering as transfers). Students who entered Barnard prior to fall 2003 may take a maximum of 21 points for a grade of P. Some courses record mandatory Pass/Fail grades for all students enrolled, e.g., Physical Education and ENGL BC 3191. Both mandated and elected grades of P are included in the maximum allowed.
Your instructor will not be informed that you have elected the Pass/D/Fail option. Your instructor will assign you a letter grade, which will be converted to P/D/F.
- A letter grade of A+ through C- will appear on your transcript as a P.
- A letter grade of D will appear on your transcript as a D.
- A letter grade of F will appear on your transcript as an F.
While a grade of P is not included in your grade point average, grades of F and D are included. Information on the letter grade assigned to a course taken Pass/D/Fail will not be released.
Requesting Pass/D/Fail Status
A Pass/D/Fail request must be filed for each course taken P/D/F. A course that appears on your program in two parts (e.g. lecture and lab) requires a separate P/D/F request for each part. A two-semester course requires a separate P/D/F request for each semester. All requests for P/D/F must be filed by the deadline and are irreversible after the deadline. You may not request P/D/F retroactively.
Restrictions for Pass/D/Fail
You may not elect the Pass/D/Fail option for:
- First Year English.
- classes going toward your minor (if any).
- classes in your major field.
You may elect the P/D/F option for a class in your major field ONLY:
- if it will NOT be used to fulfill a major requirement; and
- if it exceeds the number of points required for the major; and
- with the specific approval of the Department Chair.
Reminder: To be eligible for Dean's List, you need 12 graded points each semester.
Electing the Pass/D/Fail Option Via eBear
See the Academic Calendar for the deadline each semester.
Instructions for Electing the P/D/F option
- Go to your current myBarnard program.
- Click on "Pass/D/Fail Option" (on the right, under the last course listed on your program).
- In the Elect P/D/F column, check the box next to the course for which you would like to elect the P/D/F option.
- Before you can click on Submit, you must read the Rules governing the Pass/D/Fail option (link at the upper right of the screen). If you do not see the Rules, make sure to disable any pop-up blockers.
- Click on Submit.
- Within 3 business days, the Registrar’s Office will review your request.
To check on the status of your P/D/F request, check the P/D/F screen again.
If your request is still pending, you will see:
Date Requested P/D/F option; Registrar's approval is pending.
If your request has been approved, you will see this message:
Green check Date Approved by Registrar. No further action required.
If you have requested P/D/F in a course in your major subject area, you will see this message:
Red check Date This course is in your major. Approval from department chair required. Check your email for instructions.
(See the Rules for information about declaring P/D/F in a course in your major.)
If you do receive approval, you will later see on-screen messages:
Blue check mark Date: Department chair has approved
Green check mark Date: Registrar has received department chair approval. No further action required
If the chair does not approve, you will later see an on-screen message that says:
Red X Date: Department chair has denied
Within 2-3 business days after the Registrar or the Department Chair has approved your request, you will see a P on your eBear program, to the right of the point value for the course. You have completed the process.
Revoking the P/D/F election
To revoke a course’s P/D/F status (this can only be done before the P/D/F deadline) click on the box next to the course in the Revoke column.
Within 3 business days, the P will be gone from your eBear program, and you will see a notation that the option has been revoked.