Event organizers may create and post directional signs to welcome guests to Barnard College and to help them find their way to events. Below are some pointers when creating and hanging event signs and posters for guests who may not be familiar with the Barnard campus.
Signs should include the following information:
- Event name
- Day, date (check day/date agreement) and time
- Event location (room/floor number and building name)
- Up, left, and right arrows also help point people in the right direction
Sign format to match with the Barnard College visual identity:
- Arial font
- Avoid italics
- Consider all caps for event title and event location
- Justify left (vs. centered)
WOMEN POETS AT BARNARD
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
3rd Floor Barnard Hall
Sign posting tips:
- Print on white card stock so that tape is not visible when affixed to the back of the sign.
- Consider laminating signs for outdoor locations.
- Use painter’s tape as it does not damage painted surfaces.
- Roll the tape into “circles” and place behind all four corners to secure signs in and out of doors. Place tape behind the sign as opposed to over the sign to create a professional look.
- Hang event posters above directional signs; this is a great way to direct guests who may recognize the poster imagery from a previous advertisement.
- Post signs 1 to 2 hours prior to the event.
Directional sign posting locations:
- Post on green stanchions located in front of campus buildings.
- Do not post on lampposts or glass doors.
- Do not post on the guard booth at the main gate at Broadway and 117th Street. It is helpful to remind the guard of the event (time and location) so that she/he can help direct guests.
- Events Management has indoor silver stanchions for indoor event use. Each silver stanchion accommodates one 11"x17" event poster and provides direction to the applicable event space(s) in each building. Event organizers can provide Events Management with an event poster, and staff will place it in the silver stanchion in the building where the event will take place.
- If additional indoor signage is needed for temporary placement (e.g. on a classroom door, outside an elevator, immediately outside the event venue), please discuss with Events Management.
- Give a sign to the Public Safety Dispatcher (1st floor, Barnard Hall) so that she/he can post it in the Public Safety window and help direct guests accordingly.
Event organizers must remember to take all directional signs down at the end of the event.