Barnard's Mental Health Coverage
The new optional Barnard Student Health Insurance Plan is effective on August 22nd, 2016 and terminates on August 21st, 2017.
The benefits outlined below require a referral from Furman Counseling Staff.
Out of Pocket Maximum in network is $4,250 per Policy Year
There is no maximum expense for out-of network treatments
Deductibles: $300 In-network non office visits, $500 for Out of network
Inpatient: 80/20 In-network, 60/40 for Out of network
Outpatient: Requires $40 co-pay for In-network not subject to deductible, 30/70 Out of network
For Alcohol Abuse & Chemical Dependency
Inpatient: 80/20 In-network, 60/40 Out of network
Outpatient: Requires $40 co-pay for In-network not subject to deductible, 70/30 Out of network. (20 visits may be used for family counseling)
USING YOUR AETNA STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE
FOR THERAPY/PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY OUTSIDE BARNARD
- You need a referral from the Furman Counseling Center Staff recommending you to a therapist or psychiatrist in the community in order for the insurance to work. They will provide you with the treatment provider's information. They will also go on-line and register this referral with Aetna Student Health.
- Most mental health practitioners prefer you to pay at time of service, and then submit to your insurance for reimbursement. A few providers will agree to wait for the insurance payment.
- To access your coverage, simply send the bill, along with your identifying information (name, SSN, mailing address, copy of student ID) to:
Aetna Student Health
P.O. Box 981106
El Paso, TX 79998
- Students who are covered under the Aetna policy and their parents insurance should always inform the provider that the Aetna Student Health policy is primary.
USING YOUR INSURANCE FOR MEDICATIONS
Prior Authorization may be required for certain Prescription Drugs and some medications may not be covered under this Plan. For assistance and a complete list of excluded medications, or drugs requiring prior authorization, please contact Aetna Pharmacy Management at (888) RX-AETNA
For covered medications, generic drug prescriptions require a $20 copay, and $40 copay for brand name.
Claims Administered by:
Aetna Student Health
PO Box 981106
El Paso, TX 79990
IF YOU OPTED OUT OF THE STUDENT HEALTH AETNA PLAN
Here's some guidelines to help you find out your family/parent's insurance coverage.
N.B. Getting your money back from the insurance company will take organization and persistence. Make an “Insurance” file now to keep copies of all documentation.
- Call the number on your insurance card. Ask them the following questions:
A: Do I have outpatient mental health coverage?
B: What is the coverage for in-network providers?
C: What is the coverage for non preferred providers?
D: What is the yearly maximum benefit ( # of visits)?
E. Is there a deductible (amount you pay before insurance kicks in)?
2. If you have mental health coverage, and want to use your in-network benefit, obtain a list of providers for NYC, and bring it to your next appointment. We will pass the list around our staff so they can identify people they recommend.
3. For most therapists or psychiatrists who are out-of-network, you will need to pay them each month, then apply for your reimbursement.
4. You need to send their bill and possibly a claim form to your family insurance. (Check if they require a claim form which you may be able to get off the internet.)
 “In-network providers” refers to therapists/psychiatrists who have contracted with your insurance company to work for a set hourly fee. A co-pay is usually a set amount you pay per session. Partial payment means that you will pay a certain percentage of that provider’s fee. “Out-of-network providers” refers to people not under contract with your insurance.