Processing Check Request Forms
For purchases for goods and services (including non-travel out of pocket College expenses) over $500, please refer to the Purchasing Procedures. For purchases under $500, please follow the procedures for the Check Request Forms below.
Check Request Form Procedures
In order for a Check Request Form to be processed by Accounts Payable, the following documentation must be submitted to Accounts Payable:
- Completed and approved Check Request Form (Instructions are printed on the form).
- Actual invoice or receipt for expenditure.
- The actual invoice or receipt must provide a detailed description of the purchase. Copies of receipts or actual credit card statements will not be accepted in the normal course. In the rare case that an actual receipt is not available, a copy of the receipt or credit card statement will be accepted under the condition that the employee sign a statement attesting that no actual receipt is available and that a duplicate charge will not be submitted. Employees who repeatedly avail themselves of the receipt alternative may have this privilege revoked.
- Description of the business purpose of the expenditure.
Authorization of Check Request Form
All Check Request Forms must be signed by an authorized employee, generally the budget officer for the department. For out-of-pocket expense reimbursements, the employee's supervisor must approve the Check Request Form. For Department Heads, Vice Presidents and the President, the Controller must review the Check Request Form. Any issues or concerns regarding these expenses will be discussed with the Chief Operating Officer (or with the President with regards to the expenses of the Chief Operating Officer).
- When reimbursing outside consultants for services or guest lecturer, the tax address and either Social Security or EIN number of the payee must be included.
- All payments to Barnard College Employees for stipends, honorariums or extra services to other departments must be paid through Payroll.
Please use your correct name on a check request. No Nicknames.
Digital signatures are not allowed on any checks requests, advance requests, or expense reports. We require original signatures.
Note: Barnard College is tax exempt therefore sales tax should never be included in amounts to be paid or reimbursed. Tax exempt forms should be obtained from Accounts Payable before purchases are made.
Check Request Forms should be submitted on a timely basis to Accounts Payable for processing. The following is the schedule for the Accounts Payable Department:
Requests for checks should normally be processed within 10 business days of receipt.