Preparing for your year at Barnard
Once you are accepted, you will receive an email from the International and Intercultural Student Programs Office with information on the visa application process.
You will also receive a Welcome Packet which includes required forms and information on:
- meal plans
- medical forms and insurance
- setting up your Barnard email account
- what to bring
- arrival information
Important dates for your year at Barnard:
Summer - Apply for your DS-2019 and your J-1 visa
August 24 - Arrive to Barnard, move-in to your residence hall, and join International Pre-orientation Program (iPOP!)
August 26 - New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) begins
You will not register for courses until you arrive on campus in August. Courses you are eligible to take while at Barnard include:
- Courses designated BC, C, V and W
- Courses numbered from 1000 through 4999
- Visiting international students are not eligible to take any course designated G, K, I, J U or any other letter, or any course number beginning with 6000 or higher
Please note that you are welcome to search for courses but you should plan to work closely with your academic advisor during Orientation to put together an appropriate program.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions for even more helpful information as you prepare for your semester at Barnard.