Full-time Barnard faculty members may apply to sponsor a visiting international scholar through Barnard's J-1 program. The sponsoring department must first have the appointment reviewed and approved by the President’s Advisory Committee on Appointments, Tenure, and Promotion (ATP). The procedure for requesting the appointment of a Visiting Scholar is available here.
The following documentation will be required:
• A letter of support from the department chair, which includes a description of the anticipated benefits of the association, the scholarly research to be conducted, and the specific term of the appointment
• The candidate’s current curriculum vitae
Requests should be submitted to Dr. Christopher Barthel, Associate Director of Faculty Support Services in the Office of the Provost, 101 Milbank Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-854-8365) no later than October 1 for appointments commencing the following spring and March 1 for appointments commencing the following fall.
Once the appointment has been approved by the ATP Committee, please submit the following documentation to Dr. Giorgio DiMauro, Dean for International and Global Strategy, Office of the Provost, 101 Milbank Hall (email@example.com, 212-854-7430):
1. A completed application_to_sponsor_a_j-status_visiting_international_scholar.docx, signed by the sponsoring faculty member
2. Appointment letter signed by the Provost
3. A copy of the information page of the visiting scholar's passport
4. A letter of financial support from the visiting scholar's funding institution or proof of private funds from a bank at a minimum of $2,000 a month for one individual