Initial Procedures

While considering studying abroad, take the following steps:

  • INTENT TO STUDY ABROAD FORMS: All students who are intending to study abroad for the SPRING TERM must electronically submit an Intent to Study Abroad form (via myBarnard), by October 1 at 5pm of the previous semester. For students interested in studying abroad for the FALL TERM or for the ACADEMIC YEAR must electronically submit an Intent to Study Abroad form (via myBarnard) by February 15 at 5pm. If you do not submit this form by the deadline you will not be allowed to study abroad for Barnard credit for the upcoming semester. If you submit your Intent to Study Abroad form but do not end up studying abroad, you will not be penalized for submitting this form. To submit the form, log onto your myBarnard account, click on the Academics tab, on the right-side menu there is a drop-down menu for Study Abroad, choose the Intent to Study Abroad form.  Complete and submit.

  • Acquaint yourself with the basic eligibility guidelines for study abroad and in the Barnard catalogue online.

  • Attend one of the Study Abroad General Information Sessions, which can be found on our Study Abroad Calendar.

  • Follow the Barnard Abroad Blog

  • Meet with your academic adviser to discuss the relationship between study abroad and your major studies.

  • Research our list of approved programs on-line and in the Office of International Programs library; look over student evaluations of programs; then set up an individual appointment to speak with Dean Young.

  • Students should keep in mind that there might be ways in which their social identities, faith-based practices, and personal needs may affect their experience. For example, it may not be possible to change an exam date that conflicts with the student’s religious practice. Another example is that it may be difficult if not impossible to maintain food requirements or preferences at the abroad site. Therefore students are encouraged to explore early on whether or not their needs can be accommodated at the host site.

  • If you have a disability (mobility, visual or hearing impairment; LD/ADD; chronic illness; psychiatric disability; etc.)--please be in touch with the Barnard Office of Disability Services (ODS) and review the access brochure, Study Abroad and Disability (PDF).

  • If you are interested in studying at one of the Oxford colleges for the academic year 2013-2014, please check back in the Fall semester to see an updated timeline of deadlines and procedures.