The following instructions describe the mail forwarding procedures for students over the summer, for students on leave during the year, and for graduating seniors.
- Summer forwarding dates
Unless you complete a KEEP MAILBOX OPEN card (see #7 below), Mail Services will automatically forward your mail over the summer. We will forward first class mail for returning students from May 21-August 15, 2014 and for two additional terms for graduating seniors.
- How long does it take before I receive my forwarded mail?
Once we start forwarding on May 21, it will take up to a week to process the backlog at Barnard and hand over to the Manhattanville Post Office to forward. After the backlog is completed, mail to be forwarded is processed and turned over to the post office every weekday. The Post Office generally takes longer to process forwarded mail than regular first class mail, so expect delays of a week or more. Your first batch of forwarded mail will probably not arrive until June.
- Mail forwarding to my home address over the summer or on leave
Do nothing! When your mailbox is closed, your mail will automatically be forwarded to your permanent home address on file with the Registrar.
- Mail forwarding to a different temporary address (summer or on leave) for RETURNING STUDENTS
Complete the Student Mail Forwarding Form on myBarnard. Both the temporary address and the effective date range may be changed at any time and at any computer from which the student can access the Web. You can forward your mail by using the student login through myBarnard, using your email name and password. From myBarnard, click on Student View tab then click on the Student Services link, then go to myMail & Print tab at right hand side of the screen, click on the Mail and Package Forwarding link. Be sure to fill out all information requested in the format indicated. You may change the information on this Web form as often as you wish.
- Forwarding for SENIORS GRADUATING in May
- Through August 15 your mail will be forwarded as if you were a continuing Barnard student. Therefore, follow the instructions for returning students (see sections 3 or 4, above).
- After August 15, your forwarding address will come from Alumnae Affairs. In order to allow for sufficient processing time, inform Alumnae Records of your new address by August 12 and keep them (not Mail Services) apprised of any changes after that date. See Barnard Alumnae Network
- Forwarding for SENIORS GRADUATING in the winter
Notify Alumnae Affairs (not Mail Services) of any changes to your address. See Barnard Alumnae Network
- May I keep my mailbox open over the summer?
Yes, so long as you pick up your mail at least once per week! Just submit a white KEEP MAILBOX OPEN card, at the Mail Services window. This card overrides any information submitted on the Web. If you want your mailbox closed later, you must fill out a Close Mailbox form, available here or at the Mail Services window; otherwise, your mail will not be forwarded.
- What about my packages?
- If your mailbox is open, you may receive packages. Any packages not retrieved within 2 weeks of arrival may be returned to sender at any time. Exception: mail and packages are held over winter and spring breaks, and the usual two-week pickup deadline does not go into effect until classes resume.
- If your mailbox is closed for leave or over the summer, your packages will be handled according to the policies of the carrier. U.S. Postal Service packages will be forwarded to U.S. addresses only. Other packages, including those from private carriers such as FedEx and UPS, are given back to the carrier and returned to sender.
- Will you take requests by email or telephone?
For students who are off-campus, we will accept Email requests to close or open a mailbox if they come from your Barnard email account and include a daytime phone number where we can contact you if necessary. We do not accept email requests to change forwarding addresses nor do we accept changes of any kind over the telephone.
- What if I don’t have Internet access to the Web forwarding form?
If you are on campus, you always have this access. However, if you will be away and cannot use the Web, simply request a green Temporary Mail Forwarding Form from Mail Services to take with you over the summer or on leave. This signed card can be mailed or faxed to Mail Services when the student is away from Barnard; it will not be accepted while a student is on campus.
- How do I change my permanent home address?
Mail Services cannot make changes to your permanent home address. Current Barnard students must write the Registrar, Room 107 Milbank. Alumnae should contact Alumnae Records (212) 854-2005 or find them on the web at: http://alum.barnard.edu
- Will my mail be forwarded to a foreign address?
Yes, for normal letters and cards. According to the U.S. Postal Service International Mail Manual, "Postcards and unregistered letters that do not appear to contain merchandise and do not bear a notice forbidding forwarding may be redirected to the original addressee in another country. Letters and cards are forwarded without prepayment of additional postage." Items other than letters and postcards "must be returned to the sender."
- Magazines, newspapers, and local mail?
Magazines will be forwarded to U.S. addresses only. Newspapers will not be forwarded or saved. Inter-office mail is returned to sender.