On October 23, Barnard College joined other schools across the Columbia University community for Giving Day 2013, a 24-hour online effort to rally the support of alumnae, students, faculty, staff, and friends here and around the world. Barnard’s extended community gave more than 950 gifts and raised $239,991 for the college, all of which will provide vital financial aid for students and funding for faculty research. A few highlights of Barnard’s first Giving Day include:
- Giving Day Game Changers Jyoti Menon ‘01 and Daphne Fodor Philipson ’69 sponsored matching challenges, which increased the impact of every gift and helped Barnard win $19,313 in challenge money.
- 10% of all gifts raised on Giving Day came from members of the Barnard community.
- Barnard won $10,000 for placing fourth in the university-wide Alumni Participation Challenge.
- Barnard also won $2,000 from the Hourly Prize Challenges, where a Barnard donor was selected as the 9 p.m. hour’s Random Donor of the Hour.
- Members of Barnard’s Class of 2014 raised more than $3,000 and kicked off this year’s Senior Fund, which will finance a class gift to the Barnard community.
Below is just a sampling of the online enthusiasm and generosity inspired by Giving Day: