- Housing Applications
- First Year Students
- Transfer & Visiting Students
- Notification of Room & Roommate Assignment
- Online Housing Application (will need to log in with your Columbia UNI*)
- Application deadlines --
- Fall enrolling FYs, Transfers, & Visiting students -- June 9
- Spring enrolling VISP students -- November 15
- Spring enrolling Transfer & other Visiting students -- December 21
Any student with a diagnosed disability or chronic medical condition who may need an accommodation (ex. air-conditioning, accessible housing, strobe fire alarm, etc.) should contract Disability Services to complete a Disability Housing Accommodation Request (DHR).
* Instructions for setting up your Barnard & Columbia computer login accounts are emailed to students by the Admissions office after enrollment is confirmed (it can take a week or more for accounts to be generated). Applications are *NOT* sorted by submission date, so there is no need to worry if you have not yet received your account info to log in and submit the housing application!
Students are not required to live on campus; however, students are encouraged to live on campus for at least their first year in order to acclimate to the campus and to New York City. 98% of Barnard First-Year students live on campus and over 90% of students overall.
First Year students who wish to live on campus are typically assigned to double-, triple-, or quad-occupancy rooms in Brooks, Reid, or Sulzberger Halls. All First Years living in campus housing are required to participate in the Platinum Meal Plan (First Year commuters are required to enroll at minium in the Convenience Meal Plan).
Enrolling First Year students are guaranteed campus housing if they submit their housing application by the deadline above. Students who apply for housing after that date cannot be guaranteed assignment.
The First Year Focus (FYF) Program at Barnard is an extended orientation program for first-year students that continues throughout the year. It combines academic and co-curricular activities to assist first-year students in adjusting to college life, Barnard, and New York City. Entertaining and informative activities and workshops, ranging from informal weekly programs to larger formal events, are organized in the residence halls especially for first-year students.
While the College always hopes to be able to assign as many applicants as possible, campus housing is not guaranteed for enrolling Transfer & Visiting students (with the exception of VISP & Spelman students).
Students may apply to live in single- or multiple-occupancy rooms; however, the number of singles and/or rooms not requiring participation in the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan is typically limited.
Students are encouraged to explore options for off-campus housing in the event that campus housing is not available.
First Year Students: Room & roommate assignments will be emailed on Saturday, August 5, 2017.
Transfer & Visiting Students: Students will be emailed regarding the availability of campus housing starting in early August (early January for new students in the Spring).
No information regarding room assignments and/or roommates will be available before the times noted above.