Room Changes

Residential Life & Housing is committed to providing residents a comfortable, educational, diverse, and caring community where academic success, personal growth, and social responsibility are valued. 

Research shows that living in a community with people from different backgrounds, values, personalities, and interests is an integral part of the college experience. Our goal is for students to learn from their on-campus living experience, so it is important to understand that a room change is not the first consideration when issues arise between roommates.

Sharing a living space with others can be stressful, and conflicts may arise.  We know that roommate conflict can be uncomfortable to deal with. However, there are benefits to experiencing conflict; these types of situations provide us with opportunities to strengthen our communication skills, better understand our values, and learn to compromise and negotiate - all of these are necessary real-world skills.

Room changes are typically not available during the first 2 weeks of each semester.  This gives Residential Life & Housing time to assign students that still need assignments, process cancellations, and identify open spaces.  There are few vacant rooms during the academic year, so the opportunity for room changes is limited and not guaranteed.

As it is vitally important to your safety that our records accurately reflect where you reside on campus, room changes made without the permission of Residential Life & Housing (including switches within suites) are subject to disciplinary action and students will be required to move back to their originally assigned spaces.

Because Barnard is dedicated to promoting an inclusive and respectful community, room change request preferences based on race, ethnicity, religion & beliefs, religious practices, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, physical ability, and/or national origin cannot be accommodated.


First Year Students

The Director for the First Year Focus makes room changes for first-year students on a case-by-case basis only.  Any students with roommate concerns will first participate in a roommate discussion/negotiation, during which time the roommate contract will be evaluated and adjusted as needed.  

For more information, please speak to your RA or contact Courtney Bazan Colvin, Director for the First Year Focus.


Upperclass Students

Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors may request a room change in the Fall (mid-September), for the Spring semester (early December), or in the Spring (late January).  

Room changes at other points in the academic year will only be granted after students have demonstrated an attempt to mediate any roommate/suitemate conflicts.  

Students who wish to change rooms between the Fall & Spring semester (Semester Room Change Requests) will be required to fully vacate their Fall assignment and find a place to store their belongings over Winter Break until they return for the Spring semester and are issued a key for their new room.

Columbia students in residence at Barnard are guided by the room change policies and procedures of Columbia University.  Barnard students in residence at Columbia are guided by the policies and procedures of Barnard College.

Students who have a vacancy in their room / suite may submit a Roommate / Suitemate Request Form during the Room Change Request periods, to mutually request a specific student to move into the vacancy. Please note that the submission of a Roommate / Suitemate Request Form does not guarantee that the requested student will be given the vacancy as a room change.


Frequently Asked Questions

If I apply for a room change, will I get one?

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that all students who submit a request will receive a room change.  While the College does try to prioritize requests by class year, the likelihood of receiving a room change mostly depends on the number of & location of vacancies available, the criteria of a student's request, and/or on the number & types of requests from other students.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting a room change?

The more flexible the criteria you specify on your Room Change Request form (indicating what types/locations of rooms you’d be willing to switch to), the more likely a room change may be possible.  However, you should only specify room types & residence halls you would be willing to live in because all granted room changes must be completed.

If I request to move into a specific vacant room, am I guaranteed to get a room change?

No. While Residential Life & Housing will attemp to assign students to requested vacant room if possible, it cannot be guaranteed.  Because room change requests are considered in Class Year priority, a request by a Sophomore to move into a specific single might not not be possible if there are not enough spaces elsewhere in order to provide room changes for Senior & Junior applicants.
Note: requests to move into a specific vacancy will not be considered unless the current occupants submit a Roommate/Suitemate Request Form, mutually requesting to live with that student, by the room change request deadline.  Submission of this form does not guarantee that the requestor will receive a room change to that spot.

If I get a room change, will I have to pay more?

If granted a room change to a more expensive room type (i.e. moving from a multiple to a single), you will be responsible for submitting payment to the Bursar for the the prorated increase in room rate.  If you are moving to a less expensive room type (i.e. moving from a single to a multiple), you will receive a prorated credit on your Bursar account.
If granted a room change to a location that requires a more comprehensive meal plan (i.e. moving to floors 2-8 of the Quad), you will be required to complete paperwork with the Bursar office to change to the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan.  If you receive a room change to a location outside floors 2-8 of the Quad and wish to change to a less comprehensive meal plan, you will need to complete paperwork with the Bursar office.

What if there is a vacancy in my room/suite or my roommate/suitemate gets a room change?

You will more than likely be assigned a roommate/suitemate.  If you know someone specific who is interested in moving into that vacant space and submits a Room Change Request form requesting so, you should submit a Roommate/Suitemate Request form no later than the deadline for the Room Change Request forms.  The names and signatures of all roommates / suitemates must be on the form.  No late forms will be accepted.
Also, please note that the granting of a room change is not guaranteed, so your roommate / suitemate may not receive a room change.

If a space remains open in your room after the Room Change Request process, you must continue to keep this space open and ready for occupancy at any time. Vacancies may be used later in the semester for emergency room changes.

Can you give me a list of empty rooms to pick from?

Unfortunately we cannot provide a list of empty rooms.  There are few vacant rooms at any time.  Room changes are more of a game of "musical chairs," where one student receiving a room change creates a vacancy which may be assigned to another student requesting a room change, and so on.  It is impossible to predict which rooms may be available for room changes until all the requests forms have been submitted and reviewed.

Can I request to "buy out" my double room as a single?

Due to the number of students living in housing, it is usually not possible to request to buy out a double room as a single.  On rare occasions, Residential Life & Housing may give a student a room change to an empty double as a single (at the single room rate), if there are no competing room change requests to fill that room; however, it is not possible to specifically request this.